llvm case study: yum's handling of newly-converted noarch subpackages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 9 05:01:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Since neither of you speak for any of the yum developers, please stop
> doing so either implicitly or explicitly.

I'm not speaking for any of the yum developers. I'm just suggesting we,
Fedora, stop caring about bizarre yum options which we don't default to for
good reasons.

The advice I have for you yum developers is to drop that broken "install all
packages as multilib" option entirely. I always considered that behavior a bug
in yum, I'm glad it has been made optional and even more glad that Fedora
stopped defaulting to it in F9, but I don't understand why it's even still
supported at all. Packages should only be installed as multilib when required
as a dependency or when explicitly requested for that particular package by
the user.

        Kevin Kofler