Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 2 06:38:29 UTC 2010

Björn Persson wrote:
> Such as KDE 4.4, just to pick a recent example. I had to log out and log
> in again before I could start Kmail again.

That's normal and not considered disruptive.

> That can be quite disruptive if I have long-running processes that
> shouldn't be interrupted.

You should not upgrade anything while those processes are running,
especially not the desktop environment you're using. Even bugfix releases of
KDE require a session restart to fully work.

(This is also not quite the common usecase.)

> And since the KDE upgrade I get popups when I log in about something
> called Akonadi that doesn't work because something called Nepomuk isn't
> running. I have no idea what that is but apparently something broke.

It's a mostly harmless warning, but there's an option to set in System
Settings to get rid of it:
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk_Indexing_Agents_have_been_Disabled

        Kevin Kofler