Worthless updates

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 3 14:55:18 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Thomas Janssen <thomasj at fedoraproject.org> said:
> If you want RHEL, use it.

People keep saying this, as if the opposite of "updates every day" is
"release every 3 years".  Those are two extremes, and there is a lot of
space in between.

> > On my mirror, updates/12 is approaching the size of releases/12/Fedora
> > (which includes CD and DVD ISOs!), and that is in under 4 months.  That
> > is an insane amount of churn.  Users do complain about it, when they
> > install from a release DVD a few months after release and then spend
> > hours downloading updates.
>
> And they *have* to update everything because?

Because they are users, not developers, and they don't have any way to
know what they should or shouldn't update.  There are security and major
bug fixes as well as hardware support updates in there that most users
need, but they don't have the time nor inclination (and that shouldn't
be required) to try to sort out what they need and what is optional.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>