Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 12:38:16 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 13:13:18 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/04/2010 05:13 PM, Juha Tuomala wrote:
> > This is exactly kind off stuff I don't have time now to solve,
> > since I need to work. If such upgrade would have been put to
> > next coming release, I could have upgraded when I have time,
> > some weekend - it would not interrupted my working and ruin my
> > day.
>
> Yes and it does happen now and then that updates like these cause end
> users some pain and while some users love to tinker and play with new
> features others see it as a hindrance even if it is purely enhancement
> with no regressions because even UI changes cause disruption in workflow
> setting aside all the possibility of regressions and I dont believe that
> Fedora has the right balance between innovation and stability (not
> merely robustness but any change for that matter) at the moment  (CentOS
> is far removed and rawhide is far too bleeding edge)
>
> Whether it would be a separate backports repo or merely some more
> conservativeness in our update stream needs to be discussed and the
> current discussion has brought up very polarised opinions and at this
> point it would be useful to discuss detailed proposals than continuously
> repeating the same points in a circle
>
> For your specific case please file bug reports

We (some KDE SIG people) are currently working on so called stability proposal
[1]. That means one bigger update per release as KDE schedules are not in sync
with Fedora releases. So this means - Fn release of Fedora is getting updates
and users will get fresh software (rawhide is not an option), Fn-1 is
considered as stable, without any "mayor" updates but it's still quite fresh
so users don't have (are not forced) to switch to brand new release, probably
breaking more than just update.

One of reasons we can be now much more conservative is that KDE is now in very
good shape and few releases ago we couldn't let users with for example 4.0,
4.1 releases. Now it's not so important to do big steps as changes are not so
visible

FKDESCo is going to vote probably on next meeting, Tuesday 09 14:00 UTC. So
please, Fedora KDE users - comment these changes! We're working for you!
CC'ing kde at lists.fpo.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Stability_Proposal

Jaroslav

--