Fedora 13 Alpha Go/No-Go Meeting: 2010-03-04 @ 01:00 UTC Recap

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:22:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:47:28AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 14:17 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > On one hand we have people complaining about the quality of updates, on the
> > other hand we're happily releasing crap we know is broken.
>
> It's an *alpha*. 'Crap we know is broken' is more or less the definition
> of alphas. =)

Just a clarification point:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Alpha_Freeze_Policy
#  At Alpha Milestone, all packages should testable and feature
  complete--whether they are "official features" of the release or not

So broken, yes.  But the extent of breakage is important.  Breakage that
results in core components being untestable would seem to be blockers under
the current policy -- the result of discussing them would be whether to get
an update into the Alpha Release, revert the broken package, or simply ship
with the untestable piece documented and remember to add more extensive
testing for that at a later point in the cycle.

(Pointing out since F-12 cycle we had people confused about what was
expected of the Alpha release).

-Toshio