Fedora 13 Alpha Go/No-Go Meeting: 2010-03-04 @ 01:00 UTC Recap

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 4 19:59:25 UTC 2010

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Alpha_Freeze_Policy
> #  At Alpha Milestone, all packages should testable and feature
>   complete--whether they are "official features" of the release or not

And kpackagekit is hardly testable if it doesn't work at all due to
unresolved symbols.

In fact, the only reason it didn't fail the live image compose outright is
that we've been shipping unreleased snapshots of PackageKit in the middle of
PackageKit-qt ABI changes, and the soname bump was only done for the actual
0.6.2 release.

I'll also note that the reason we had this breakage is that F13 is shipping
PackageKit 0.6.x which is clearly not ready for production use (as evidenced
by the issues seen; in fact, PackageKit reportedly didn't work at all until
Alpha RC3) and which includes a PackageKit-qt binding considered an unstable
development version (to the point its ABI is changing wildly and there's no
official kpackagekit release to go with it yet, we've been forced to package
SVN snapshots of kpackagekit, and even sometimes the exact right old
revision to match that particular snapshot of PackageKit-qt). I think we
really need to be more conservative about what version of our default
updating tool we include in our releases (and in fact pushing PackageKit 0.6
as a post-release enhancement update once the issues with it are resolved
and there is an actual kpackagekit release to go with it, while shipping F13
GA with 0.5, would probably have been much less disruptive).

        Kevin Kofler