Fedora 13 Alpha Go/No-Go Meeting: 2010-03-04 @ 01:00 UTC Recap

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 08:51:16 UTC 2010

On 4 March 2010 19:59, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> I think we
> really need to be more conservative about what version of our default
> updating tool we include in our releases (and in fact pushing PackageKit 0.6
> as a post-release enhancement update once the issues with it are resolved
> and there is an actual kpackagekit release to go with it, while shipping F13
> GA with 0.5, would probably have been much less disruptive).

PackageKit, as in the daemon has been pretty stable for ages.
PackageKit-glib2 has been stable up until recently, where we broke API
to fix a bug in a little-used piece of API (most applications,
including GPK, unaffected). PackageKit-qt has had wild changes, which
the QT and KDE guys said they needed to fix bugs in KPackageKit.
KPackageKit has a much smaller community base than GNOME PackageKit
(which is expected, it's a younger project) and so the developers only
have the resources and desire to work on git master, rather than
stable branches.

If you want to talk to anybody about stability, it's probably the
PackageKit-qt guys you need to talk to, and offer help. I'm pretty
sure the situation will get better over time, as the -qt library
settles down and the kpackagekit project gains momentum.

Richard.