Speedup the availability of updates (was: Re: Push scripts, mash) pushes in Bodhi (urgent call for feedback))

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Mar 5 17:36:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:23:17PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Till Maas (opensource at till.name) said:
> > I have some ideas to speedup the availability of updates. Are there any
> > reasons except that the tools to do this do not exist yet, to switch to
> > this? I created a wiki page for this:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Till/update_availability_speedup_ideas
>
> It seems to be missing something - it says 'all rpms that are not included
> in the prior metadata will be deleted', but there's nothing in that proposal
> as written that will cause rpms to fall out of the metadata.

It was probably to unclear. This metadata is generated the same way as
it happens currently, e.g. only for the latest build of a package. I
added this to the wiki.

> With respect to hardlinks, the updates repos that are created *are*
> hardlinks (to the koji packages); the only copying that's involved is
> pushing them from the koji storage to the mirror storage.

The hardlinking is targetted at the mirror storage. Afaik currently
packages vanish first from updates-testing and reappear later in
updates, so there is no hardlinking possible and the packages need to be
copied again from the master mirror to the other mirrors. There was a
mail about this recently on this list.

Regards
Till