Proposed udpates policy change

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Mar 8 23:25:10 UTC 2010

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> We need to work on making it easier for users to see that there are
> available testing updates and give feedback on them. This is clearly
> going to take a while, and there'd undoubtedly going to be some
> difficulty in getting updates for more niche packages through as a
> result. If people have further suggestions for how we can increase the
> testing base then that would be awesome, but the status quo really
> doesn't seem sustainable.

Perhaps as a data-point, before Till's recent easy-karma script, I'm
not sure any update of the git package ever received enough karma to
be automatically moved to stable.  It's not like git is a package no
one around here uses.

That said, I don't disagree with the goal of pushing packages through
updates-testing.  I'm just unsure if lesser used packages will ever
get out of updates-testing.  Maybe >= 3 karma or 2-3 weeks would
suffice?

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.