Proposed udpates policy change

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Tue Mar 9 11:34:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:12:11PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:21:45PM +0100, Sven Lankes wrote:
> >
> > If Fesco is aiming at getting rid of all the pesky packagers maintaining low
> > profile packages: You're well on your way.
>
> So, no, that's not the intent and it's realised that this is a problem.
> We need to work on making it easier for users to see that there are
> available testing updates and give feedback on them. This is clearly
> going to take a while, and there'd undoubtedly going to be some
> difficulty in getting updates for more niche packages through as a
> result.

It seems to me that the problem is a lack of testing, not irresponsible
maintainers that don't care about testing. If the testing problem can be
solved to the point that a policy like this could work without
completely freezing updates for low profile packages then I think
maintainers would be keen to have the testing, and you won't need the
policy to force the issue.

Ewan