Proposed udpates policy change

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 8 23:18:59 UTC 2010

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The ability for maintainers to flag an update directly into the updates
> repository will be disabled. Before being added to updates, the package
> must receive a net karma of +3 in Bodhi.

Even if it already went to testing and sit there for ages? This will lead to
MANY updates being stalled in testing forever! Hardly any update is getting
+3 karma right now. Karma is completely useless in practice. People "gaming
the system" are going to be the only way updates can go out at all under
such a proposal.

Sure, we'd all love that kind of test coverage. It's just not practicable at
all. We need to be realistic.

In addition, it has been explained very clearly in the discussions on this
mailing list why the current karma system is a poor indicator of update
stability. Relying on it as the only way an update can go stable is just
insane.

> It is the expectation of Fesco that the majority of updates should
> easily be able to garner the necessary karma in a minimal space of time.

You gotta be kidding! Just look at the current update landscape to see how
far from the truth this is.

(And I also wonder with what authority you speak in the name of FESCo as a
whole. The fact that what you're saying is so clearly wrong makes this all
the more an issue.)

        Kevin Kofler