Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 20:40:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 14:56 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Should there be a caveat for cases like I'm dealing with right now --
> pidgin-sipe 1.9.0 provides both security fixes and new features
> compared to pidgin-sipe 1.8.1.
>
> If these guidelines are to be followed, then I both should (security
> fixes) and shouldn't (new features) be pushing this release into F12
> and F11.
>
> (And if the answer is "backport the security fixes to 1.8.1" then I'm
> afraid I don't really have the skills nor have the time to spend on
> such massive effort).

If you're going by my page, you'll note that

Generally it is expected that these types of bugs can be fixed without
introducing new major upstream releases. When this is not the case the
update should be considered a new upstream version and treated
accordingly.

And then if you read the new upstream versions you'll see:

For new upstream versions of packages which provide new features, but
don't just fix critical bugs, an update can still be issued, but it is
vital that the new upstream version does not regress or drastically
change a user's experience.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!