Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 12 12:42:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/10 12:12, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> --sniped--

>>> It's just life, in all it's forms.
>>
>> Exactly. And if i live in an area where i cant have everything, i
>> can't choose everything.
>
> Bringing it back to dialup.
> Fedora liveCD 500-700mb
> CentOS DVD 3.5GB app.
> Fedora 1, CentOS 0

CentOS was just an example, i'm can't tell if CentOS has a
netinstall.iso. If not, would be a improvement.
Other distros have for sure. Such distros with very low updates.

>>> They have, Fedora
>>
>> Perfectly, so why do they complain then?
>
> They are doing the best with what they have.
>
> "http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f12/en-US/html-single/#sect-Release_Notes-Welcome_to_Fedora"
>
> Should we ask the community, to change our community focus:
>
> "Fedora is a community of people, who come from well developed
> lifestyles. Have access to high-speed internet, do not download,
> or feel you belong unless this is satisfied.

I like that you said *ask*. What happens right now with our community?
Do they feel like they are asked? No. People who think they know what
our users want, deciding right now that Fedora will change into. Yes,
i wrote *think they know*. They don't know, they just guess. It seems
they guess because *they* want it like that. Even a poll (yes i have
read all the posts if the poll is good or bad) has shown, that our
users want's something different that those decider guess.

>>> True.
>>>
>>> that fits their needs better.
>>>
>>> So you say.
>>
>> Well, all that complaining in this meag-threads makes it obvious that
>> Fedora doesn't fit their needs, don't you think ;)
>
> What doesn't fit their need is the infracstruture,
> not the distro.

I guess you mean their infrastructure. Well, since they can't change
their infra, they want us to change into something that fits their
infra instead of choose something that fits already into their infra.

Look, it's not like i can't understand your point. Though we're
spinning around in circles and there's not one argument *why*, should
we change. There are lots of distros out there, exactly fulfilling
those needs. Why "kill" something beautiful like Fedora just to be
another such distro. Nobody really needs that.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium