Stable Release Updates types proposal

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 12 16:59:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM, John J. McDonough <wb8rcr at arrl.net> wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
>>> If the infrastructure sucks where you live, what needs to happen
>>> is that the infrastructure needs to improve, not that the whole
>>> world adapts to stone-age infrastructure. Bandwidth is required
>>> for many more applications than just fetching Fedora updates.
>
>> That is just completely out of touch with reality.  We live in the
>> real world and have to deal with real problems; you can't just wave
>> a magic wand and make them go away.
>
> While many third-world countries have made high speed connections a
> priority, these countries are often densely populated.  In more rural
> areas, high speed connections are economically impractical.
>
> Here in Michigan, which is one of the more populous states, terrestrial
> high speed connections are simply unavailable in about half the state.
> Satellite connections are expensive, not terribly fast, and because of
> the weather, very unreliable.
>
> Much of this state has a population density less than 5 people per
> square kilometer, and that is crowded compared to many of the western
> states.  At those population densities it will be some time before
> technology will be able to deliver high bandwidth connections
> economically to much of the population.
>
> If you are sitting in the crowded cities of western Europe, it may be
> hard to imagine a world where your nearest neighbor is a kilometer away,
> but that is how it is in much of the world.  The distances can be vast,
> and hard to picture from inside Europe (or Manhattan, for that matter).

Hm.. Thank you for that post.

That was the first post who made me think different about the infra problem.
I'm still not with the idea to change Fedora completely. But i think a
compromise like N-1 as much as possible only security and bugfixes
(from our bugzilla only, so it's clear *our* users face them).
Includes to me no games with the kernel and other big packages of
software. Kernel just security fixes in updates. Bugfix releases of
the kernel either in a special repo for N-1 or from koji.
Keep N as it is to satisfy the people who want it leading edge. Means
the behavior as yet, except with autoQA testing and the other
improvements already mentioned to prevent breakage as much as
possible.

Rawhide the same as it is.

That should make anybody happy. People who expect Fedora as it is
right now, stay with N and people with lower bandwidth, infra
problems, can use N-1.

Could be started with F-13 release.

--
LG Thomas