Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 21:06:33 UTC 2010

Simo Sorce wrote:
> I am not sure what's Kevin POV anymore, probably he has some sort of
> view of what is the target user base and which packages should be fast
> movers, but I can't make it up from his emails anymore.

I think that new versions should, as a general rule, be pushed, unless there
is a good reason NOT to push a particular new version (feature regressions,
known unfixed new bugs as found during testing, requires manual
intervention, breaks compatibility with existing user data etc.). (And of
course, if there are such reasons, the update MUST NOT be pushed. That's
what distinguishes the updates from Rawhide, and it's an important
distinction, because it defines stability from the user's point of view.)

> If the position is that the status quo is fine, I have to disagree, we
> have way too many updates in F-12, so from my POV something should
> change to slow down the pace a bit. Whether that should be only done
> for CRITPATH first and exclude some category of software that is not
> installed by default I don't know; we can discuss that.
> But the current status is not good IMO.

And indeed, I do think the status quo is mostly fine! If anything, it is
sometimes too conservative (e.g. GNOME, Firefox).

        Kevin Kofler