Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 12 22:05:38 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:31:26 -0600,
>    Matthew Woehlke<>  wrote:

I'd ask you not to do that, but you've been quite clear you've no
intention of listening.

>> Ubuntu's method satisfies more users, that is why they use Ubuntu.
>> People¹ use Fedora because it is leading edge. If we sacrifice that
>> identity, then people¹ won't have any reason to use Fedora over Ubuntu.
>>
>> (¹not everyone, true, but we've shown that there /are/ such people)
>
> But are there more that use it because it is free or more ammeniable to
> new contributors or perhaps other reasons?

I'd expect people that want 100% Free to use gNewSense. I'm not sure how
you define "more ammeniable to new contributors", so that's harder to
address. Still, I think it's clear that at least some people use Fedora
*because* it is leading (yes, almost bleeding) edge.

And this is going to kill that. (Or will if it gets enforced.)

Anyone know of a distro that doesn't lag like Ubuntu/NewFedora? Is
Mandrake kept up to date, or do they also make you wait months for new
versions? Because I am *seriously* considering switching right now...

> There are plenty of ways to be adventerous in Fedora. I think the project can
> more onus on the tinkerer types and provide a more usable Desktop for
> everyone. If you want to tinker, there is rawhide

Please. "Rawhide is => that way" is getting really, really old.

> the branched prerelease
> (a lot of the time), grabbing selective packages from either,

You're suggesting cherry-picking from rawhide into release? Really?
/me is ++incredulous

> rebuilding
> SRPMS locally and probably other ways.

Thanks, but I /have/ heard of Gentoo.

> What's better about this, is you can
> can selectively tinker with what you are interested in, rather than having
> to tinker with lots of things you might not be and at inopportune times.

I can also choose not to install every update the moment it is released.

--
Matthew
Time to get out the marshmallows...