Stable Release Updates types proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 12 22:30:37 UTC 2010

Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:21:41 +0100
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> The problem with all the proposals centered on the idea of N-1 as
>> conservative, N as less conservative, including yours above and
>> jreznik's, is that it forces all the people who expect a constant
>> type of updates to upgrade twice as often, i.e. twice a year.
>> Especially for the conservative folks, this will be a big annoyance.
>> With low bandwidths, you have to get a CD/DVD shipped each time! In
>> addition, I think the inconsistency will confuse our users a lot.
>
> I think you have to decide if you are siding for people with low
> bandwidth or cutting them out.
> You just said we cannot cater to people with low bandwidth.
> Well stick with your point and don't swindle as soon as it doesn't help
> you win an argument for argument sake ...

You don't understand my point! Please make sure you understood what the
other person is saying before accusing them of hypocrisy!

Thomas Janssen is the one who proposed to cater to people with low bandwidth
by making the N-1 release (and only the N-1 release, not the N release) less
often updated. My argument is that this doesn't make sense because upgrading
every 6 months will suck for those people (and also for other user groups
who are asking for conservative updates).

        Kevin Kofler