Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

Roland Grunberg rgrunber at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 21:45:23 UTC 2010

>/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
>/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
>/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

>What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?

This is due to a fix in the way ld does linking which is outlined
here : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking

There's an example of how to go about fixing this here :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange

In your case the solution would be to add libva to the linker line.

--
Roland Grunberg