Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Juha Tuomala Juha.Tuomala at iki.fi
Wed Mar 31 09:18:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 13:09 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>> I am irritated by the way the KDE SIG and the KDE bugzappers handle
>> bugs. For most bugs that are reported they demand the reporter to file
>> an upstream bug report at bugs.kde.org and set the bug to NEEDINFO. If
>> the reporter doesn't respond, the bug is closed NOTABUG or WONTFIX.
>> But
>> if the bug has been reported upstream, the Fedora bug gets closed
>> UPSTREAM. Ether way, the bug gets closed, no matter if it was actually
>> fixed or not.
>
> +1 on this !  I thought it was just me.  I've given up on reporting bugs
> largely because of this issue.

Same here.

In kde.org it's even worse and I don't reporting *anything* there
anymore. Before that I practically reported every new kind of crash
there with backtraces.

They've modified the bugzilla way too much and thus logged in users
cannot for example change version or component which causes that
there is way too much of entries that would need some kind of manual
work and they lack the manpower to do that.

They claim that it creates problems - which however doesn't exist in
Fedora without such modifications. But that's no argument in such
discussion and can be ignored. :)

They do give these elevated rights for 'selected group of people'
which is bit odd for opensource project, considering how integral
part of bug reporting is in the community.

What comes to the Fedora's bug entries, IMO those should not be
closed until the problem disappears. There are two reasons for that:

- like bugzilla is now as a tool, it hides closed reports under
'mass noice' and thus that same thing gets reported multiple times.
Instad of commeting existing reports, those individual case details
gets lost in clousure. That's waste of limited resources in our
community and creates fustration.

- open bugs knowledge is part of documentation.

Tuju

--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.