Fedora 13 continuing the tradition of being an update monster

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue May 11 16:46:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:19:41 +0100
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 02:14:58AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
> >
> >  Thankfully all the giant flamewars and new policies didn't make
> > anyone think twice about the users, as we already have 140 updates
> > with a combined size of _over_ 750MB on x86_64, biggest 5 are:
> >
> > 6.2M wesnoth-1.8.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
> >  12M hanazono-fonts-20100222-2.fc13.noarch.rpm
> >  48M xmoto-0.5.3-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
> > 260M wesnoth-data-1.8.1-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
> > 318M openarena-0.8.5-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
> >
> > ...the last being particularly "nice", in that the package hasn't
> > been updated for almost a year but now we get 2 300MB+ presents at
> > once. Welcome to the new Fedora updates, much like the old Fedora
> > updates. Hey, at least Kevin should be happy.
>
> Why does the large size of some game files matter?  _Number_ of
> updates matters (ie. 140 is a bit large) but on the other hand F13 has
> been in limbo for such a long time I'm not surprised.

The fedora 13 'updates' repo has only existed for a day or so.

Before this time, things that would normally go to updates were just
tagged into the base repo.

So, now that we are near release and can't change the base repo for
anything except very severe blockers, other things go to updates.

It's unfortunate that these two big packages didn't make it into the
base repo, but such is life. ;(

kevin