Increase grub timeout

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon May 17 17:46:41 UTC 2010

On 05/15/2010 03:04 AM, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2010 11:05:13 pm Chris Jones wrote:
>> I was under the impression that a timeout is intentional/used only if
>> another operating system is detected upon installation. ie. Windows. If no
>> other operating system is detected, then there's no point having a timeout.
>
> In that case, why default to keeping around more than 1 kernel or installing
> memtest86? (We do still install memtest86 by default, right?)

The usual PC behavior of banging on the keyboard brings the boot menu
even if there is no timeout. Don't laugh: banging blindly on the
keyboard is the recommended service procedure per DELL and other
hardware manufacturers, since the timing of reading boot time keyboard
input is pretty variable and usually has no visual feedback.