short window between fedora-release update and resuming of updates-testing

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 18 22:24:34 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> The window doesn't matter that much anyway, as by no means all packages
> pushed to updates-testing during the pre-final cycle have been (or will
> be) approved as updates. So it's perfectly possible people who installed
> pre-releases will have what you term 'unwanted' packages anyway. This
> seems to be to be reasonable for those who run pre-releases, but I
> suppose we could write it up somewhere for clarity...

Yes, the broken decision was to enable updates-testing by default for
prereleases and we should never do this again. It just can't work, because
updates-testing is like the Red Pill: once you're on it, you can't get off
anymore. The fedora-release update which disabled updates-testing broke many
user setups, suddenly unable to install packages due to dependencies.

        Kevin Kofler