systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 26 19:28:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 11:32 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> OTOH, why is this even a sub-topic in this sub-topic of a thread? I'd
> love to see some numbers from the complainers about scripting being
> slow. I have a normal Fedora 13 x86_64 system that boots through
> initscripts in under 10 seconds. Normal services are starting as I have
> not "tweaked" my service list. Unless Fedora needs a 1 second boot time
> (hey I wouldn't complain) do we really need to spend time on 100+ email
> threads and jump through multiple init systems to find that perfect
> solution? I've read similar claims of salvation when upstart was being
> marketed to replace SysVinit. "Everyone will switch to native scripts
> and everything will be better!" Has everyone switched to native upstart
> scripts? AFAIK - No. Will everyone switch to systemd native scripts? I'm
> betting - no.

My anecdotal evidence is up the same alley, FWIW - I have a system with
a rather fast SSD in it and it completes the entire boot process, on
F13, in 13 seconds or so. Which rather indicates that scripts aren't
wasting a significant amount of time, and a lot of the time lost on more
conventional systems is waiting for disk access.

Has anyone run bootchart on Fedora lately? I remember we did something
of a co-ordinated effort on it in F11, but I don't think it's happened
on F12 or F13. That would give us an indication of where our startup
bottlenecks *actually* are. Maybe I'll throw up a blog post on that
later today, I have three rather different F13 systems to do it on now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey