Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:07:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de> wrote:
> What does this mean, wait until Canoncial provides patches before taking a
> look at interresting technologies? Or even better, don't use applications
> where Canoncial don't provide patches? That means that a lot of application
> can't be used in the future and I don't think that this is an useful
> approach.

Wait for Canonical? No of course not. I'm saying that for anyone who
cares the history of the actual Wayland development tells a certain
story of existing involvement in bringing the technology forward by a
number of individuals, some of them active members of other upstream
communities (and who just happen to be members of Fedora's development
community as well).  Work to make Wayland an integral part of the
standard plumbing stack is already underway as part of substantiate
upstream work with input from developers from this community.   Anyone
under the impression that somehow Shuttleworth's announcement is in
any way significant outside the scope of Unity as a new and
differentiated interface offering hasn't been watching what has
already been going on. The head-down, nose-to-the-grindstone
development work that has been going on as part of upstream
interactions around Wayland and X and Qt and gtk has been going on and
will continue to go on regardless of what Canonical does or does not
do moving forward.

The final packaging at the distribution level as a binary blob is
literally the last 0.1% of the work going on to make it a usable piece
of the technology plumbing.  Once you look at the history, its obvious
that things need a little more work, and its just as obvious that
there is a real intention to see support for Wayland deeply integrated
into upstream stacks suck as GNOME.  It means that people associated
with our development community are already working on it..well before
the human hype machine decided to blog about it and bring up the
visibility of the already ongoing effort.

-jef