Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 18:33:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> Then why are people already calling for the rejection of Wayland even
> though Wayland is still far from being finished and hasn't even touched
> Fedora yet.
>
> raising concerns != screaming the sky is falling

Actually, if we go back to the first post in the thread... it was the
premature suggestion by a by stander of bringing a "still far from
being finished technology" into Fedora because another entity has
prematurely decided to announce to the world that its going to be
their default.  That triggered a certain amount of bloodletting.  If
the original poster had come to the conclusion that it was "far from
being finished" before writing the first post do you think that the
original poster would have written that post in exactly the say way?
Something the original poster should probably ruminate on.

Generally speaking, if you aren't prepared to talk in detail about the
suitability of a technology, you shouldn't bring it up for discussion
like that. If you are personally interested in it, you should inquire
as to whether there are people in our development community who are
currently working on it and ask them questions about it.  To come out
of the gate suggesting its time to discuss it for inclusion is putting
the card before the horse.

What the original post is, is a classic enthusiast blunder. The active
developers working on the problem space are more than capable of
proposing wayland for inclusion and answer questions about
wayland...when they feel its ready. By introducing it for discussion
before they were ready to engage in that discussion you've actually
made it more difficult for the discussion to move forward as you've
taken away their best shot to me a good first impression with the
tech.

-jef