Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 9 19:14:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 14:05 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:44:19PM -0500, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > And where does that sit in the architecture?
> >
> > Looking over the architecture page (2nd figure) it looks like the only
> > way to get the kind of network transparency that X has under Wayland is
> > to put the network between the Wayland client and Wayland Compositor.
> > Which would mean that the passing of events has to be networkable from
> > the start.  If its put on top it ends up being the VNC model of doing
> > things and that sucks in a big way.
> >

> Basically you'd run an alternate compositor in your ssh session that
> would read out the buffers, compress them, and send them over the
> network instead of compositing them into a larger buffer and scanning
> them out.
>
> --CJD

That's an interesting solution.  If I logged into a remote machine would
I have to run a separate compositor for every application or one per
remote connection?  I suppose the compositor could be started
automatically if the wayland libraries looked for an env setting (the
same way X looks for DISPLAY).

Brian