Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 14:42:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 16:59 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:35:33PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > What kind of attack are you trying to prevent, and how do you envision
> > that interacting with the window system?
>
> The classic is a hostile remote binary which secretly maps a full-screen
> transparent window and captures everything you do in your other windows.

It's a little tough to do that in wayland, period.  In general apps
don't get to know (or control) their screen position or the stacking
order.  That's the compositor's decision.  Likewise (I think) for input
event delivery, although I'm not as familiar with that bit.

Still: that'd be a definition detail for whatever the remoting protocol
ends up being.  Things like RDP simply do not let you remote invisible
input capture surfaces, it's just not there.

It's hard though, because wayland surfaces can have an alpha channel,
and the only way to look at a surface and know it's transparent is to
inspect every fourth byte... bit expensive that.  But you might like to
be able to remote windows the size of the screen for the x-terminal kind
of use case, but still want to be able to cut/paste between remote and
local apps... so you need some IPC, but you probably don't want full
input thunking.  Not intractable, just subtle.

- ajax