Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Nov 20 22:09:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:42:57 +0100
Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:

> I personally can say that the week-long delay significantly diminishes
> my enjoyment of backporting patches into existing Fedora releases.
>
> Being able to spend 30 minutes fixing a bug for an user and getting an
> immediate feeling of accomplishment is much better than spending 30
> minutes fixing a bug and then ... nothing; I could just as well spend
> only 15 minutes fixing the bug upstream and not bother to create a
> patch for an update.

Well, it's not quite immediate, but why not ask the user affected who
reported the bug to add +1 karma to the update when they confirm it
fixes it? Then your update should just go to stable if you set it to +1.
(or only need a provenpackager to confirm if it's critpath).

> Sure, the users will get the bug fixes eventually, when a next Fedora
> release is made.  Sure, I should be able to overcome my feelings and
> just do what is right for the users.  Yet, when I'm deciding how to
> spend my free time, it doesn't quite work that way; not always.

Yeah, understandable.

Personally I feel good when I can get the user who reported the bug a
fix, even if it takes a bit longer for everyone else to get that fix.
I often ask reporters to test scratch builds with the fix, then when I
submit a proper update ask them to add karma and retest. Almost
everyone I have asked to do this has been happy to be involved.

kevin