Urgent: today's F14 catastrophe with openldap-servers update

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 19:36:14 UTC 2010

On 11/23/2010 06:28 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 07:36 PM, Jan Vcelak wrote:
>> On Tuesday 23 November 2010 19:13:09, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>> Another related thing is that Berkeley DB which openldap uses is
>>> notoriously picky about getting updated. I'm fairly certain openldap does
>>> not update their bundled BDB version to prevent issues like this on minor
>>> updates, and AFAICT (based on a quick lookaround at the changelogs etc) in
>>> this case it was this fix to comply with our own policies (no bundled
>>> libraries) that bit us when synced with rawhide version:
>>>
>>> * Fri Aug 27 2010 Jan Vcelak<jvcelak at redhat.com>  2.4.23-1
>>> - rebase to 2.4.23
>>> - embeded db4 library removed
>>>
>>>   	- Panu -
>>
>> You are right. My fault. :-(
>
> No, it's not your fault (Or at least only partially). A functional QA
> would catch such kind of breakages.
>
> Ralf

Fedora(.us) has never had what you would call a "functional QA".
Efforts are underway, and have been for a while.  Until in place, we
rely upon humans, first line of humans we rely upon is the maintainer.
Mistakes happen, and the approaches thus far are trying to provide a
window of opportunity to discover such mistakes, until such time as the
automated QA system can discover them for us, or at least provide hints
that there might be a mistake.

My original question was not an attempt to place blame, rather an
attempt to discover the scenario in which this mistake made it through,
so that we can use this info in further design attempts for QA.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!