F13 update issue..

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 19:13:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:31:18 +0100, Marcela wrote:

> On 11/25/2010 02:15 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:12:17 -0600, Rex wrote:
> >
> >>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Hello,
> >>>>
> >>>>    My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
> >>>> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
> >>>> tell her to do to resolve it.
> >>>>
> >>>> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
> >>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >>>> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
> >>>>
> >>>> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?
> >>> This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
> >>> long ago, but won't be fixed. 
> >> Nathanael, yes bugzilla, its fixable with a simple Obsoletes (which I'll 
> >> commit to help with).
> > self-Obsoletes are a way to fix it, sure. It's one thing I tell packagers
> > when they mail me in reply to broken deps reports. But when above I wrote
> > it "won't be fixed" that refers to the result of the communication with
> > Marcela Mašláňová about this.
> Yes, we (Perl maintainers) already discussed this issue with you. But from
> our point view it was problem of wrong script, which create perl-libs
> for both
> architectures (i686 and x86_64).
> The easiest solution is to remove perl-libs-5.10.1-112.fc13.i686 from
> system,
> but I will test if "obsolete" would work.
> Imho yum could do solve it, so I'll create a RFE request for this issue.

It would be very helpful, if you really spent a minute to run

  repoquery --whatrequires libperl.so

on an x86_64 machine. In short: There are other multiarch packages in the
x86_64, which depend on the i686 Perl library.

Hence you may be able to remove perl-libs.i686 from an x86_64 system, but
not from the repo, since the multiarch compose tool ("mash") adds it to
the repo to satisfy dependencies. The original mistake is that perl.i686
no longer is dragged in, but still available in the Fedora 13 release repo
(aka "everything").

More information about the devel mailing list