biosdevname hitting rawhide

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Nov 30 22:09:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 03:25:45PM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> > I've pushed the comps change to pull biosdevname into @base by
> > default.  And I've posted a patch to anaconda-devel-list to pull
> > biosdevname into the installtime environment.  Cross your fingers,
> > this is gonna be great!
>
> Could anaconda not be smart enough to pull this in to only Dell and HP
> systems? Is there a reason all users need a new package for only a
> handful of hardware that can use it?
>
> Not that I am attempting to downplay your work, I just wish to
> understand why all my systems keep getting Dell packages (yum plugin)
> when I don't own any Dell systems.

I fixed the yum plugin bit, so that only gets pulled in (on new
installs) if you explicitly install firmware-addon-dell.  Before it
was part of libsmbios, which was pulled in by hal, so was on
everyone's system, but that wasn't intentional.

There's no way in rpm/yum/anaconda to specify installing packages by
hardware type.  That I know of at least...

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist