xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 12:24:47 UTC 2010

Peter Lemenkov, Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:22:24 +0400:
> Unfortunately you're talking (and the rest Fedora Mozilla team) about

BTW, just as a way of clarification, my rant was not targeted
specifically at you, but everybody (and it is currently a big fashion)
ranting against “proprietary” MoFo. No personal offense was meant. Sorry,
if it sounded so.

> different task - you're talking about fixing Mozilla upstream product
> while I'm talking about fixing Fedora bugs. No one from community is
> allowed to fix Mozilla in Fedora. That's why it's absolutely
> unmaintainable.

Yes, it is a problem, but I am quite sure, if you talk with me and point
to something important, I will make sure Martin & co. knows about it.

> Read it again - we can't fix mozilla products in Fedora. Theoretically
> we could send patches to MoFo, but some of them will be rejected due to
> political reasons (see links in this thread for their recent decision

No need to call it “political reasons” (on the side of MoFo) ... nowhere
in the definition of free software is written, that upstream has to
accept your patches. It may happen upstream (any upstream) disagrees with
your patch, you may not agree with them, but in the end it is their
decision and if you don't agree you can either suck it up or fork. Both
alternatives are still freely open for you (and Fedora as whole) in MoFo
case as well (just to make this clear).

If there is any political reason, then it is Fedora/RH policy to oblige
with upstream trademark terms and to keep our Firefox/Thunderbird/
XULRunner as close to the upstream as possible to save us work
maintaining our patches and not go Iceweasel way.

The only thing I would like to ask all participants in this thread is to
keep things in the perspective ... Firefox is mostly working more or less
well (yes, I know more than most participants in this thread how many
bugs there are present). If you really want to help, may I suggest those
1400 abrt bugs? I would really really welcome any help anybody can spare,
and I am willing to share freely whatever experience (and tools) I have
in dealing with them.

Best,

Matěj

Q: Is vi an easy editor to learn, is it intuitive?
A: Yes, some of us think so. But most people think that we are
   crazy.
    -- vi FAQ