xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:39:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 09:57 +0200, Martin Stransky wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 08:54 PM, Sven Lankes wrote:
> > 2. The combination of the Mozilla Trademark issue combined with the
> >     strict handling of patches by (corporate|distro)-maintainers (I don't
> >     think that this is a RH/Fedora issue - same with Canonical/Ubuntu)
> >     makes me feel uneasy about ff being called Free sofware.
> >

> Please look at this list:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=firefox&product=Fedora&classification=Fedora
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=thunderbird&product=Fedora&classification=Fedora
>
> There are 1108 open bugs against Firefox and 404 bugs against
> Thunderbird and new bugs are coming. And there are only three mozilla
> maintainers at Red Hat.
>
> As you can see, it's impossible for us to fix (or even sort!) all
> reported bugs so we really have to cooperate with mozilla upstream,
> which involves *hundreds* of skilled mozilla hackers.
>
> Right now, we are in process to redirect firefox/thunderbird crashes
> directly to mozilla crash database (http://crash-stats.mozilla.com)
> which is handled by mozilla guys, instead of our bugzilla, so they can
> help us with all Fedora Firefox/Thunderbird crashes.
>
> And you can imagine that we can't achieve that with Fedora customized
> Firefox build. If we want help from upstream we have to follow some rules.

I don't want to add more fuel to the fire, but from my viewpoint there
are only three manageable options:

      * Grant exception for xulrunner to bundle these libs temporarily
        and press Mozilla to add support for system libs.
      * Convince mozilla that our (as of now hypothetical) patches to
        unbundle the libs are good enough for them to accept their
        inclusion in our package without having to re-brand.
      * Switch to different upstream (i.e. iceweasel or icecat or
        whatever it is called). This is vastly different from
        maintaining our own fork...

I would lean towards the first one with strong emphasis on "press
Mozilla to add support for system libs". But I have my doubts about
mozilla in this regard, after all, proper support on linux does not seem
to be high priority for them (Why the heck don't they put proper
versions to their shared libs? Why the heck do they bundle codecs
directly and with their own patches and refuse to include patches to
support using system libs?...)

Martin