Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 11 23:33:54 UTC 2010

On Monday 11 October 2010 23:44:01 Farkas Levente wrote:
> but our opinion simple do not count. better is what most user like. period.

We all know that's not true. In an ideal world the best things would also be
those with the most success. Sadly, in reality this doesn't apply. Just look
what the most popular newspapers are. Do you really want to tell me these are
the ones offering the highest quality journalism available? At least where I
live, the most popular newspapers are also those most full of crap. In the
best case they just write trivial nonsense, whereas most of the time they use
their popularity to push their own agenda. Nevertheless they sell most of the
copies, whereas many papers used to be known for their high quality are
struggling for their existence. No, in reality there is not always a
correlation between popularity and quality.

Obviously, this doesn't mean that popularity is bad. But when the price we
have to pay for being popular is heavy (i.e. doing something that makes Fedora
inferior from a technical point of view)  this should be well considered.

Speaking frankly, I want to help making an operating system that is excellent
in technical terms. Popularity is certainly nice to have, but when it requires
actions that are contrary to technical excellence it clearly comes second. I
don't want to do anything against better judgement. As long as Fedora doesn't
depend on selling as much copies as possible I think that's an reasonable
approach. But that's just my humble opinion. Everybody is free to have their
own.

Lars.