rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 14:51:49 UTC 2010

> Note that many other distributions gave up on seperate /usr already (for
> example, Gentoo do this, and even refers to Fedora that it wasn't
> supported here, which is technically true, but so far not officially).

Where did you get that idea? From Gentoo installation handbook:

"The number of partitions is highly dependent on your environment. For
instance, if you have lots of users, you will most likely want to have
your /home separate as it increases security and makes backups easier.
If you are installing Gentoo to perform as a mailserver, your /var
should be separate as all mails are stored inside /var. A good choice of
filesystem will then maximise your performance. Gameservers will have a
separate /opt as most gaming servers are installed there. The reason is
similar for /home: security and backups. *You will definitely want to
keep /usr big*: not only will it contain the majority of applications,
the Portage tree alone takes around 500 Mbyte excluding the various
sources that are stored in it."

Before replying and saying that "is just says /usr has to be big".
Please read whole
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=4
(part "How Many and How Big?")

I won't even comment on whole idea of not supporting separate /usr in
Fedora...makes me sad.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 71A1677C