How to handle a dead package in Fedora with a need in RHEL

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Sep 10 07:00:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:11:13 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 04:41:01PM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> > But the perl-Net-DNS-SEC package requires Digest::SHA which doesn't
> > exist on RHEL.  How do I convert a dead package on the fedora side
> > to a EL only set of branches?  I'd assume it'll be the original bug
> > request and re-opening a new branch? my biggest fear is that
> > something will shoot it dead again though.
>
> If you're going to maintain it in EPEL, could you maintain it in
> Fedora as well?

The package went away in Fedora because it became part of perl core in
perl 5.10.0; this will also be the case in EL-6.

However, in Fedora, some of the so-called dual-lived perl modules
(which are distributed both as part of perl itself and also
independently via CPAN) are being resurrected as such, so bringing it
back into Fedora is probably worthwhile anyway.

Paul.