Simultaneous Fedora and upstream git usage

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 23:35:00 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> I think it's already been proposed on -devel as a logical extension of
> the current system. I can't recall exactly when or by who, though,
> sorry.

What I remember from FUDCon Toronto was that fedpkg could download the
tarball, explode it into /tmp or something, do a `git init; git commit
-a -m "Tarball"` and then there'd be some way to export patches on top
of this commit back into the Fedora repository and get the PatchXX: and
%patchXX lines in the spec easily. Allowing maintainers to push full
upstream repositories into the Fedora repositories isn't something I'd
recommend doing. It also makes maintaining git-backed upstreams
different than other version controls (imagine checking out Qt's
repository to do a one liner change to the spec file).

--Ben