Simultaneous Fedora and upstream git usage

Andy Shevchenko andy.shevchenko at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 06:41:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Ben Boeckel <mathstuf at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I remember from FUDCon Toronto was that fedpkg could download the
> tarball, explode it into /tmp or something, do a `git init; git commit
> -a -m "Tarball"` and then there'd be some way to export patches on top
> of this commit back into the Fedora repository and get the PatchXX: and
> %patchXX lines in the spec easily.

It's not what I would like to discuss, but it's really useful to such
sources where upstream isn't a git-backed.

> Allowing maintainers to push full
> upstream repositories into the Fedora repositories isn't something I'd
> recommend doing. It also makes maintaining git-backed upstreams
> different than other version controls (imagine checking out Qt's
> repository to do a one liner change to the spec file).

To be more clear,
a) I'm talking about pull upstream to the _local_ repository;
b) of course the feature should be optional, IOW fedpkg might have
support of pulling remote sources from VCS (actually good to have
VCS-URL inside spec);
c) ... <may be smth. else what I miss> ...

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko