Linux and application installing

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Sep 16 19:05:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
n framework. Yum is a _package_ manager.

> Applications like gnome-shell and kpackagekit want to search for new
> applications using translated per-application strings and show icons
> for desktop files. gnome-shell shouldn't care what a 'package' is.
> That's an uninteresting technical detail.

Personally I'd much prefer some nice asynchronous GObject API
somewhere for this, rather than parsing SQLite directly.  PackageKit
seems like as good a place as any for this.

The other argument for this is that we *will* need to know some
details.  For example, to implement "remove" or "when was this
installed" type things, knowing the mapping to packages is necessary.

Actually to implement reliable upgrades we'll need linkage between the
two as well.

(I don't have a strong opinion on whether the data format is RPM or
repodata myself; maybe just a slight preference for the latter; the
most important thing in my mind is to come to rough consensus and
working code, and actually ship something)