Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 13:29:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:07:24PM +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 10:24 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > This is reasonably easy to fix: we should do some testing and withhold
> > packages from Rawhide if they don't pass some basic sanity checks
> > (eg. does it boot, can an X server be started).
>
> That's basically the proven testers process, which at present is running
> around capacity trying to cover three releases (two current stable, plus
> Branched). I'm really not sure we could manage another release,
> especially one like Rawhide where people have a right to expect updates
> to land quickly.

I really meant automated tests.

At the moment when I build libguestfs is when I find many kernel and
qemu bugs, because that is the first time that anyone has tried to
actually run the things.  (Unfortunately at the moment I have had to
turn this testing off for Rawhide because of a fatal kernel bug that
no one has acknowleged -- 630777).

This testing is completely automatic and happens in Koji as part of
the %check section of the build.  We run the kernel/qemu/userspace
combination together and subject them to about an hour of
stress-testing.

All I'm saying is, run these automated tests and fail the build if the
%check section fails.  For extra marks, fix the bugs that are found.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v