Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Sep 23 20:10:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:23:25 -0500,
  Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > The kmod rpms for rawhide are already provided by rpmfusion. I don't know
> > how often they do them nor how often new kernel releases just plain
> > break the proprietary drivers. But it sure likes look at least some of
> > the time you should be able to use them.
>
> Bruno, you can't use certain proprietary modules with debugging kernels.
> GPL symbols prevent you. In particular, the LOCKDEP stuff.

That's interesting, because rpmfusion has nvidia modules in their
development repo. It could be that they were for older kernels or
something, I didn't look at the versions too closely.

> Frank mentioned[1] a viable option for Rawhide, but with Rawhide broken
> more often then not, it still isn't a viable option to use every day. I
> can't recommend it to Joe Schmoe if he wants Firefox 4.0 and he runs
> into broken deps or broken apps and goes off and uses Ubuntu or SuSE
> because of it.

To use rawhide you really need to be able to fix things; so you need to
be an advanced user. There is also the branched release. It should be
a bit better than rawhide, but does seem to get broken on occasion.
Builds go through testing, so there is a chance to catch a lot of the
bad stuff there before it gets to people not using testing. This would
still be for advanced linux users.