Systemd unit file implementation questions (ypbind)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:33:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:41:58PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 09:17 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> >> The basic guidelines for packaging of systemd services have been
> >> approved by the FPC.
> >>
> > But very explicitly, not the guidelines for converting a service from sysv
> > to systemd.
>
> Is this something that we that are converting the sysv init file to a
> native systemd one have to follow?

If asked, I would say yes.  However, read my comment at the end.

> Is there a draft for that guidline somewhere?

Yep.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Systemd_scriptlet_options

> Note I was refering to rawhide and as soon as possible.
>
> With my QA hat on it's arguably to late in the F15 release cycle to
> introduce any native systemd service file at this point.

It's possible that any conversions done before the guidelines have been
finalized would have to be redone (or even reverted) as they haven't been
tested yet and there could be cornercases that will rquire them to be
updated (there's definitely been cornercases encountered before we got the
current form).  However, for rawhide, I don't think that we'll hit the worst
case (reversion) -- there's just the chance that we'd have to find every
package that's doing an upgrade from sysv to systemd and change what it's
doing to match the final form.  From the problems that have shown themselves
with past versions of these scriptlets, the bugs that we're likely to
encounter will won't leave us the luxury of grandfathering packages that are
using prior versions of the scriptlets -- we'll likely have to make any
package using old versions of the scriptlets change to using a new, fixed
version.

With that in mind, I think that selective updating in rawhide could be
helpful to finalizing the guidelines.  Just be sure to be on the lookout for
corner cases, if you find something wrong, vaguely not the way you think it
should be, etc, report it to the FPC with as close to what you did to make
the problem reproducible, and finally, be sure to keep track of what
packages you've converted as they may need to be updated to use the latest
version of the scriptlets.

-Toshio