Intel HD 3000 video & blank screen during install of F15

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Aug 3 14:56:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 10:34:01AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> Thanks, I will work through collecting that information and post it for us.
>
> If you do need access to this particular chipset, let me know :)

It's typically not the chipset that's the problem. The move from LVDS to
embedded DisplayPort means that it's now the driver's job to make sure
there's a trained link between the chipset and the panel, and it turns
out that panels are often very particular about the setup they want for
anything to work. The typical outcome of this is that we try to program
link training, fail and your panel turns off.

It could be any number of other problems as well, of course, but these
days most of the bugs like this are specific to a given
chipset/bios/panel combination rather than just being the chipset.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org