question regarding Fedora packaging

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 15:01:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 01:24:16PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question regarding packaging for Fedora.
>
> I want to package an application that depends on jets3t. It is packaged in
> Jpackage.
> I see in fact that many Java packages are available in JPackage.
>
> What is the usual behavior in this case ? Should I check with maintainer if
> package can be "moved" to Fedora ? (and do it myself if he does not wish to do
> so)

You can.  JPackage is somewhat cross-distro so they may not want to get it
into Fedora.  If so, you are quite free to try to get it into Fedora itself.
The Java packaging guidelines have evolved over time (but at one time the
jpackage and Fedora Guidelines were very similar, I don't know if they've
remained so or not) so you may have to do some adaptation of the jpackage
spec before it will pass Fedora review.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java

> There are Fedora "core", EPEL, JPackage... it is not really clear for newcomers
> to see several repository, and what are their relationships...

There is just Fedora now that Fedora supports for Fedora.  EPEL is a Fedora
project to build addon packages for RHEL, CentOS, and similar distributions.
JPackage and other repositories are third-party projects that may make an
effort to create packages that run on Fedora and may share some contributors
in common but are largely independent.

-Toshio