Default services enabled

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:10:44 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 06:04 AM, Steve Grubb wrote
> Sorry, I was very busy at the time. I am just beginning to look to the future and what
> might be coming my way for RHEL7 common criteria.

It is ok to be busy but when you are busy,  decisions will be made
without your input.  You can't complain about having to do more work now
as a end result when you weren't participating all along for over a year
when you had a chance to be involved.    You can't expect to come in at
this late stage and reverse decisions made without very significant
reasons.   Common criteria requirements don't drive community decisions
in Fedora otherwise.

> You're not seeing the hundreds - no thousands of emails about systemd? You are not
> seeing that all the expected facilities of init are not covered? There is well founded
> rebellion here. How do I see all targets on a system? List all services
> enabled/disabled for each target in one shot? Chkconfig is not perfect, but its a
> trusted friend. Also, not preparing for both server/desktop targets at a minimum seems
> problematic in my opinion.

I am pretty sure I read more of Fedora discussions than practically
everyone in the Fedora world.  I have seen such discussions regarding
every major change in Fedora.  SELinux,  NetworkManager,  PulseAudio,
KDE 4, GNOME 3  - you name it.   Decisions on such matters are done via
FESCo which in turn is a elected body representing Fedora contributors
and as contributors, we get to decide what Fedora should be.  We must
take feedback into account however and since I am cc'ed on all bug
reports on systemd, I am well aware of how rapidly changes are being
made.   Read the documentation on the changes and if you find missing
features, feel free to file them.

>> I understand that you are busy and paying attention to this matter only now but I
>> can't consider this as a serious proposal.
> I am wondering if it was ever considered to give xinetd a makeover? I bet the coding
> would have been done in 2-3 weeks tops.

Maybe but Lennart  followed the feature process and got the changes in.
If you are serious about your proposal,  you are welcome to do the same.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy

I don't see how it is going to fly however.

Rahul