Default services enabled

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 17:22:50 UTC 2011

On 20:17:14 Wednesday 24 August 2011 Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 09:06 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > If the service is enabled but the daemon not currently running, is it
> > > so terrible for a connection test to cause the daemon to start?
> > > Remember, in systemd logic 'service enabled with socket activation,
> > > daemon not currently running' is effectively an 'on' state, not an
> > > 'off' state. If you wanted the database to be 'off' you should have
> > > the service disabled, and in that case, the ping test wouldn't cause
> > > the daemon to start.
> >
> > It generally is a bad idea to automatically restart a database based on
> > a random connection. There many reasons why you may have stopped the db
> > (or it may have stopped itself) and requires inspection before
> > attempting a new restart. Having to battle with socket activation while
> > in a critical situation is not a good idea.
>
> Sure, and I agree with you that socket activation may not be a great
> idea for a constantly-used database. I should've made it clearer that I
> was engaging with the generic argument - 'socket activation makes it
> tough to check the state of services by pinging them' - not the specific
> example - 'socket activation makes it tough to check the state of MySQL
> by pinging it'. As far as I was concerned, MySQL was just an arbitrary
> example chosen by the OP.

I want to add one more POV - not every database is constantly-used. Example
usage is Amarok using mysql database and I really want mysql to not be started
until I start Amarok.  Not that this is very common usage scenario but still I
know at least one guy using Amarok with mysql :).

Alexander Kurtakov