floppy support

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Aug 31 00:04:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/8/30 Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz>
>>
>> I hope no software is still doing this - that was idiotic 10 years
>> ago, let alone now.  (The purpose of the seek is to detect drives that
>> can support only "double density", i.e. 360K, 5.25" disks, not "high
>> density", i.e. 1.2M disks.  It doesn't do anything useful for 3.5"
>> drives.)
>
> bah you 3.5 inch floppy elitists!!!!!!  I have an original wolfenstein 3-D
> on 5.25 '' floppy...its its original sleeve...that I still use.  How dare
> you suggest that I give up my 5.25 inch floppy.  Its actually "floppy"
> unlike those hard plastic 3.5 inch cases.
I wouldn't dare to say anything against a Wolfenstein 3-D medium.
That's fine, any 5.25" floppy _disk_ is fine.

The seek is there to detect the double-density _drive_ that was last
shipped in PC XT: PC AT already had a high-density drive.  Wikipedia
tells me that the seek is there to detect hardware that became
obsolete in 1984.
   Mirek