Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Feb 23 19:49:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 01:38:05PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

> Define "awful".  I make use of it all the time on home and office
> desktops and even my notebook computer.  It makes it easy to reassign
> disk space from purpose A to purpose B (it would be easier if there was
> a way to shrink a mounted ext3/ext4 FS, but that's a hard problem).
> Logical volumes for virtual machines perform better (and virtualization
> is something becoming more common on the desktop for compatibility).

You can't move PVs. You need a separate /boot. If you use more than one
disk then it adds significant fragility to the boot process. It slows
down booting. It provides some functionality that's hugely useful in a
small number of cases, and in every other case it just makes your life
more complicated. btrfs does the former without anywhere near as much of
the latter.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org