help with dist-git

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Wed Jan 5 03:46:19 UTC 2011

I want to play with an orphaned package in order to see if it can be
resurrected. Can anyone highlight the err in my ways?

   fedpkg clone --anonymous perl-Net-Libdnet
   cd perl-Net-Libdnet
   # find commit prior to deleted spec
   git checkout f56a7fd7
   git branch resurrect
   git checkout resurrect

But then that breaks simple things that (mostly) worked with the old
cvs/Makefile system.

   fedpkg prep
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   git.errors.GitCommandError: 'git config --get branch.resurrect.merge' returned exit status 1:

This question really is just academic...as I'm trying to learn dist-git
and Fedora's newfangled way of doing things. As I have no problem fetching
the sources from upstream and using rpmbuild.

But this used to be possible (and very easy) with cvs update -D...

   cvs -qd:pserver:anonymous at cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/pkgs co perl-Net-Libdnet
   cd perl-Net-Libdnet
   cvs up -D 2010-02-09
   cd devel
   # ok, so the lookaside cache is depleted...no problem...
   wget -N http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Libdnet-0.01.tar.gz
   make prep

Is there a more modern dist-git analogue?

../C