help with dist-git

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Jan 5 04:51:14 UTC 2011

> But then that breaks simple things that (mostly) worked with the old
> cvs/Makefile system.
>
>    fedpkg prep
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>    git.errors.GitCommandError: 'git config --get branch.resurrect.merge' returned exit status 1:

Do something like:

	git config --add branch.resurrect.merge refs/heads/f14/master

to make fedpkg build for f14, or refs/heads/master for rawhide.
(You can also just edit .git/config by hand--it will be pretty obvious.)

'fedpkg switch-branch' is a front-end command that does this magic for you,
but I don't know exactly how it translates into the underlying git commands,
so I don't have a recipe.

That .git/config variable replaces the "branch" file in the dist-cvs setup.
Rather than a source-controlled file you have to deal with when merging
branches, it's just local git state (automagically maintained by fedpkg
in normal uses, or by git itself when you use 'git branch --track').
It's what tells fedpkg which %dist tag to define and which koji target to use.

Thanks,
Roland